SSL error 14191044 on EC2 hosted Convergence Server

Hi,

We have set up the convergence server on the Amazon EC2 instance.

It was working fine but now I am unable to initiate a connection. In the browser, I am getting an error
WebSocket connection to ‘wss://ec2-11-111-111-111.eu-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com/realtime/convergence/default’ failed

In the nginx logs, I see the below error

[crit] 31#31: 98 SSL_read() failed (SSL: error:14191044:SSL routines:tls1_enc:internal error) while waiting for request, client

The detailed client side log in the browser looks like below:

DEBUG 19:00:52.726 WebSocket Error: undefined
convergence.esm.js:447 DEBUG 19:00:52.729 Web Socket connection failed: {code: 1006, reason: ""}
convergence.esm.js:447 DEBUG 19:00:52.729 Web Socket connection unexpectedly closed: {code: 1006, reason: ""}

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ahmad Qarshi

There could be many causes for this sort of WebSocket error:

• Are there any proxy servers or firewalls routing traffic in the client’s local network?
  • Do websocket connections from that same browser to other services work?
  • Do websocket connections from other browsers / networks to the same Convergence server work?

Hi @alec,

Thanks for your response. I have found that only the Chrome browser is throwing this error. Even though I opened the convergence URL and confirmed to proceed with the unsafe URL

However, in Firefox and Microsoft Edge, it works after visiting the server URL.

Although it’s ok for me as I can proceed with the testing on the other two browsers but I would love to figure out the root cause as it was working before in all the browsers.

Thanks,

Ahmad Qarshi

Generally, this is because of a self signed certificate. If you use something like cloud flare or AWS’s certificate capabilities you can probably avoid this.

Generally, this is because of a self signed certificate. If you use something like cloud flare or AWS’s certificate capabilities you can probably avoid this.