Convergence console Initializing forever

I have followed the quickstart guidance, and have the Docker image up and available. I can login to the console, but it never gets beyond initializing.
If I look in the Docker logs, there are a number of messages warnings but nothing that looks desperately unhealthy.
removing old pid file /orientdb/bin/orient.pid
Warning: Nashorn engine is planned to be removed from a future JDK release
2021-07-15 12:20:15,042 INFO success: proxy entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs)
2021-07-15 12:20:15,046 INFO success: convergence entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs)
2021-07-15 12:20:15,047 INFO success: orientdb entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs)
2021-07-15 12:20:15:036 INFO Detected limit of amount of simultaneously open files is 1048576, limit of open files for disk cache will be set to 523776 [ONative]
2021-07-15 12:20:15:090 INFO Loading configuration from: /orientdb/config/orientdb-server-config.xml... [OServerConfigurationLoaderXml]WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by com.sun.xml.bind.v2.runtime.reflect.opt.Injector (file:/orientdb/lib/jaxb-impl-2.3.0.1.jar) to method java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(java.lang.String,byte[],int,int)
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of com.sun.xml.bind.v2.runtime.reflect.opt.Injector
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
12:20:16 INFO ConvergenceServer$ - Using config file: /convergence-server/bin/../conf/convergence-server.conf
12:20:19 INFO ConvergenceServerActor - Convergence Server (1.0.0-rc.11) starting up...
12:20:19 INFO ConvergenceServerActor - Convergence Server Roles: [backend, realtimeApi, restApi]
12:20:19 INFO ConvergenceServerActor - Role 'backend' detected, activating Backend Services...
12:20:19 INFO ConvergenceServerActor - Ensuring convergence database is initialized
12:20:19 INFO ConvergenceServerActor - Role 'restApi' detected, activating REST API...
12:20:19 INFO ConvergenceDatabaseInitializer - Attempting to connect to the database at uri: remote:localhost:2424
12:20:20 WARN SystemErr - Jul 15, 2021 12:20:20 PM com.orientechnologies.common.log.OLogManager log
INFO: Detected limit of amount of simultaneously open files is 1048576, limit of open files for disk cache will be set to 52377612:20:20 INFO ConvergenceDatabaseInitializer - Connected to database with Server Admin12:20:21 INFO ConvergenceServerActor - Role ‘realtimeApi’ detected, activating the Realtime API…12:20:21 INFO ConvergenceRestApi - Rest API started at: http://0.0.0.0:808112:20:21 INFO ConvergenceRealtimeApi - Realtime API started at: http://0.0.0.0:808012:20:22 INFO BackendServices - Convergence Backend Services starting up…12:20:22 INFO BackendServices - Convergence Backend Services started up.`

If I then start up a local webserver with the demo app in place, I get the following warnings in the Docker log:
12:35:31 ERROR ClientActor - ClientActor(convergence/default/null): Invalid message. ClientActor(convergence/default/null): Could not deserialize protocol message. Ensure the Convergence client and server versions are compatible.: ''
12:35:42 WARN SystemErr - Jul 15, 2021 12:35:42 PM com.orientechnologies.common.log.OLogManager log
INFO: - shutdown storage: 5382874808084531170...

In the browser console log, I have:
Uncaught Error: Can not close on a WebSocket in the CLOSED state.
at x.Ce (convergence.global.js:8330)
at x.terminate (convergence.global.js:8310)
at j.abort (convergence.global.js:8570)
at convergence.global.js:9511
convergence.global.js:7898 ERROR 13:35:41.824 Handshake failed
ConvergenceError: A request timeout occurred.
at convergence.global.js:8558

The Docker image is running under MacOS, and is reliably running a number of other services. Just to be sure there were no port clashes, I stopped all other containers.

Any thoughts?

Greetings. It appears that the Convergence Server is up and running. However it looks like you have a different version of the server and the JavaScript client. Prior to version 1.0.0, there is not backwards compatibility between releases. So if you are running 1.0.0-rc.11 for the server, you must be running the 1.0.0-rc.11 version of the javascript client.

Can you verify which version of the server and client you are using?

Hi there. That is of course what I thought, but both were taken from the same zip from Github
Looking in the files, I was including from:
https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/@convergence/[email protected]
Whereas the server is:
Convergence Server (1.0.0-rc.11)

Oops!!!

Corrected that and have got a little further. No errors in logs now, but not synching either ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for help.

Gotcha. Any errors in the JavaScript console? I will got through the QuickStart myself later tonight it’s possible that we need to update it based on the latest releases. I’ll report back here.

Not having much joy. Here’s the setup:
A webserver running in Docker.
index.html, config,js and example.js all set correctly

The covergence server running OK

When I open up index.html as http://localhost:8888 it obviously correctly connects (I proved this by putting in an incorrect domain in the config.js and it then fails)

However, the promise does not fire in this section so the initApp never runs:
Convergence.connectAnonymously(DOMAIN_URL)
.then(initApp)
.catch((error) => {
console.log("Could not connect: " + error);
});

I just pushed a few changes to the getting started repo. I don’t know if they were the cause of your error. However, I just followed the getting started guide with the new repo and it seemed to work. A few questions:

• I see you are visiting https://localhost:8888. Is this a web server hosting the example somehow?
  • Can you share the docker command you used to start the container? And can you also share the config.js?
  • You mentioned that you could log into the admin console. Are you able to go into the default domain and create a model and edit it there?
  • Can you try again with the latest code I pushed?

Thanks for your continued help.
I’ll have a look tomorrow with your changes.
Basically I have two containers.
One running a webvserver
One running the convergence server

The Docker command to start the container is as per the quickstart.
It must be right because if I change the domain in the config.js file to licalhost instead of localhost I see an error, whereas with localhost it seems to connect but just doesn’t run through the rest of the script.

It’s entirely possible that the routing of messages has gone awry between the browser, the webserver container and the convergence container.

Note that while I can log in to the admin console, it never seems to complete initialisation.

Greetings. If you are able to join our public slack channel. I might be able to help you out in real time.

https://slack.convergence.io/